Using Fault Current Limiters to couple circuits allows transformers to supply distribution networks in parallel.
Where distributed generation is connected, Fault Current Limiters block the flow of fault current in the wrong direction (downstream generation leads to fault currents flowing upstream!) allowing traditional, directional, time graded protection systems to operate normally.
The benefits are:
- Improved power quality arising from a reduced source impedance.
- Increased security of supply due to interconnected circuits being permanently in service.
- Improved security of supply due to the avoidance of protection mal-discrimination.
- Improved power flow capability due to additional circuits being permanently in service to carry load.
- Improved voltage stability.
- Improved asset utilisation.
- Reduced losses.